A Brief History
In 1746 John Wreford left to his sons William and Samuel "the fee and inheritance of a certain Meeting House in Bow
November 1819 John Poole began his ministry and instigated the building of a chapel, opened in July 1820, described as "a neat and plain chapel". In 1826 there were 13 members. In 1837 John Poole left the area, and as there was no-one to succeed him, the building was made into cottages.
In 1848 John Germon loaned a room in his house in Bow where services could be held, led by the Lapford minister or evangelists. Numbers became too great for the one room.
A Church was built and opened in 1851, presided over by Rev. Corke. This building continued in use until the present one was opened in 1899. It is difficult to be certain of the exact location of these former buildings. Suffice it is to say that there have been Non-conformists worshipping in Bow for many years, surviving all the difficulties existing at times with no building and relying on God's provision of preachers.
March 25th 1898, land was acquired for a chapel, school-room and burial ground in Station Road, Bow, next to the village school and School House.
August 24th, two memorial cornerstones were laid for the chapel, the school-room having been erected first and used for services (the first being on July 10th 1898) until the new chapel was completed.
The Corner stone inscriptions;
This stone was laid by
Mrs Robert Pedlar 24th August 1898
THE FOUNDATION OF THE APOSTLES AND PROPHETS JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF BEING THE OUTER CORNERSTONE
This stone was laid by
Carter Pedlar 24th August 1898
WHAT DOTH THE LORD REQUIRE OF THEE BUT TO DO JUSTLY AND TO LOVE MERCY AND TO WALK HUMBLY WITH THY GOD
October 4th 1899 The Chapel was formally opened by Rev Herbert Arnold, minister of the Congregational Church in Exeter.
October 4th 1900 the Trust Deeds were placed in ward for 'use of the Congregational Church Body worshipping in Bow'. The Chapel was registered for marriages.
December 1900 Enclosure of the site of the school-room, chapel and burial ground was completed. The first burial took place - that of Cyril Vodden aged 6 months. The total cost of the land, building etc., was £822.9s.3d
In 1987 it was decided to demolish the existing small kitchen and toilets which were now in a poor state of repair and build new toilets and kitchen area. This was done at a cost of £12,845.20 a figure kept down by the voluntary contribution of labour and services by various members.
These facilities are now ideal for use as an extra room for Sunday School classes, meetings during the week, catering for the Harvest Supper and Church Christmas party. A new heating system was set up in the whole building in 1991 and the building was rewired.